Friday, August 16, 2013

We're on a ROLL . . . er coaster!

Over a month and a half has passed since our last entry and we are realizing this could be a very slow process.  We have only received 3 referrals and they weren't even for boys between 5 & 8 or a sibling group between those ages (boy and girl).  One was for a 5 year old girl, one for a brother/sister group ages 8 & 12, and I have forgotten what the other was.  We have made some headway though.  Ava's room is complete with a loft and a new twin bed beneath.  Every piece of paperwork is completed and we have met all of the requirements making our home open for kids to come in.

Probably the most exciting development is that Mia and Fonzie's agency approved our family!  I mentioned them I think in the last post. Cameron called me last Friday after semi-hounding their agent earlier in the week to get an answer, approved or disapproved.  She had sent their agency our PPA probably 3 weeks ago.  After two weeks she called them to make sure they received it and within two days of her 'reminder' call they let her know we were approved.  This is exciting because at one point they were only looking at families with no children.

A little more about Mia and Fonzie . . . Cameron referred them to us in March.  This was before we even began classes, before all the paperwork, before anything.  This isn't how it's supposed to go but I saw their picture on the agency's website and immediately adored them.  When I told Cameron she requested all their information and we were able to read all about their past.  Because of privacy laws and common courtesy I cannot share all we know about them.  What I can say is Mia is 10 in September and entering 4th grade (Ava turned 10 last April and is entering 5th grade), and Fonzie (Alphonso) turned 8 in April making him 4 months older than Isaac.  This disappointed Isaac a little bit but he's excited that Fonzie may join our family.  Isaac wanted to have a little brother.  I believe Fonzie will be in 3rd grade like Isaac.

The two had a rough upbringing and their family relinquished their parental rights last summer.  They have been in foster care since February of 2011.  Tooooo long!  Fonzie has had some set backs but Mia seems to be thriving.

We are anxious to meet with their agency in the near future to have several make or break questions answered.  We are waiting to hear from their agency as to whether they want us to come down there or if they want to meet us in our home.  You would think that wouldn't take a week to set up but we still haven't heard from them since they gave Cameron the good news last Friday.  They are in the New Hanover County area (Wilmington).

In prayer I try to keep an open mind but I always insert that I REALLY hope all works out with these two.  When we finally meet with their agency we could find out things that will cause us to say no to them and that breaks my heart.  I feel like I know them and it hurts to read what they've been subjected to.  Obviously our kids come first and this has to be a good fit.  I know God is in control and I know He already knows how this will play out.   I feel like when I look over the new referrals and the website pictures of the kids available for adoption I know immediately which ones we would pursue.  So far, Mia and Fonzie are the only ones I have felt good about pursuing.  I am 'anxious about nothing but, in every situation, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, I present my requests to God.'  Time will tell!!

No comments:

Post a Comment